Pages

We have moved! You should be redirected to thelicentiate.com in a few seconds. This blog will not be updated. Click here if you are not redirected

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Linkage Love Special - online magazines

Like a lot of people, I'm stuck somewhere between online content and magazines.  Both have their advantages; my favourite elements are the tactility of the paper, the layouts and the flip factor, where you can flip from page to page without waiting for it to load or come up all funny because your connection is bad.

In between online content and paper is the online magazine, where you can flip from page to page and not have to throw anything in the recycling bin when you're done, or if you're like me, let it gather dust on your tv.  Here are some of my favourites.

Photobucket

Antler Magazine
I don't know how long antler has been out or even how old the most recent issue is, but that is a good indicator of what kind of magazine it is.  Fresh, slightly Lula-ish layouts and themes run amok all over the pages and there's an emphasis on Etsy sellers that are otherwise ignored by more established mags.

I Want You
I'm wandering slightly off the mark here as I Want You isn't a fashion magazine but a quarterly that focuses more on up-and-coming artists like Christina Christoforou and Arnaud Loumeau, whose graphic prints wouldn't look out of place on the catwalk.  They also run a limited edition print version that is FREE (!!!).  Sorry, I got a bit excited there.

I♥FAKE
Because this issue the theme is 'grunge' and I have a sick, sad love for anything grungy.  The spreads make me want to dye my hair green, which is no mean feat in itself.

Photobucket
Pic: Reserve LA 

NOMAG
A great thing about the advent of online magazines is that old mags can be scanned in that would otherwise only be seen by a handful of people.  To mark an exhibition at Reserve LA, three copies of cult early 80's LA punk zine NOMAG were put online.  Plenty of inspirational images to be found.

And as an addendum, you can find a full version of the Size Issue of V here.