Pages

We have moved! You should be redirected to thelicentiate.com in a few seconds. This blog will not be updated. Click here if you are not redirected

Monday, January 3, 2011

My Personal Style Resolutions #3: S-oh S-ew!

Jo from S-oh S-ew!, a streetstyle and fashion blog, tells us all about her New Years Resolution.  Jo is a music student and her blog has been shortlisted by British Vogue in their Fashion Photography Blog Competition.  She's got a fantastic eye for outfits, so it's only fitting that she pays tribute to a true fashion visionary and sartorial aesthete.

New Year's always brings an onslaught of (welcome and unwelcome) emotions and reflections. Resolutions are made on the strength of all the improvements we wish to make in our lives and some of us re-evaluate what's important for us to prioritise in the year to come. While best laid plans and intentions will, inevitably, fly out of the January window for most of us, I have decided to embrace a sartorial challenge in the spirit of all things 2011.

This year, I am going to try and push the boundaries in terms of what I wear and try to be a little more adventurous in my attire. For me, that may mean as little as donning a hat, wearing that purple lipstick or having the courage to get dressed up for a party when I know most people will be in sweats. I’ve used the excuse for far too long that in my hometown it'd just look funny to wear the things I admire, but New Year new confidence I say!

I'm currently reading Blow by Blow, a biography of Isabella Blow (the British fashion editor, pioneer and icon) and her unashamed dedication to outlandish outfits is a great example of how to wear what you like wherever you are...Her spirit and life were from another time; she brought a vision and attitude to American Vogue that was so removed from everything they embraced at the time and ultimately this made her loved and hated by those around her. She was unapologetically herself and that is surely resolution worth holding on to this year. Clothing is , if we choose it , a reflection of who we are and , I believe, the sooner we are brave enough to display it on the outside the sooner we realise our true potential inside too.. Here are some of my favourite photographs of Isabella which I will be sticking to my bedroom wall as a visual source of fortitude. Here’s to style and courage for the New Year!

Photobucket
Photo: Steve Meisel

Photobucket
Isabella's wedding to Detmar Blow. Photo: Cheltenham Echo

Photobucket
Blow wearing a Philip Treacy hat

Photobucket
Photo: Steve Meisel

Jo's Blog http://s-oh-s-ew.blogspot.com/